Pages



Sunday 8 February 2015

Tilly Francoise Dress

Well, well, well; it has finally happened. A dress I've made that I actually really do properly love! And it fits as well.


Tilly & The Buttons has done it again, a deceptively simple dress that will flatter almost everyone and, for those who made the Tilly Coco as well, a chance to make a more tailored dress and try and some new techniques. Although I've been sewing for a long time, I've never done darts like this before and this is a first for self-covering buttons (I love it, I could do it all day).

I had a couple of issues:
1) I thought I'd melted the zip with the iron when I went to try it on the other day. Luckily, after trying it again today before I took it out and replaced it, it was probably just getting caught in Monday's thermal vest.
2) I have a job reaching for the zip to get it all the way to the top. With the Mister in London during the week, let's hope this doesn't lead to a Phoebe from Friends incident.
3) I have come so close to matching the pattern on the back.


4) I need a couple of little darts at the neck line to take the fullness out of the shoulders.


5) My front facing won't lie flat.

But all in all, I love this dress. Look at that beautiful tab!
 

I'll definitely be making many more of these dresses - it'll become a wardrobe staple I'm sure.

A note on the fabric - it comes from B&M Fabrics in Kirkgate Markets. It is kind of a twill weave tartan and it doesn't get stuck to tights. Warm and practical: double win.

What would you use to sew a Francoise?

No comments:

Post a Comment